TheRomanceEvangelist

The Romance Evangelist

The BookLikes companion to The Romance Evangelist (mharvey816.mh2.org).

Reviewer for Seductive Musings, Night Owl Reviews, and Romancing Rakes For the Love of Romance.

I live for the HEA/HFN and am decidedly pro-epilogue.

Weekend Menage - Cara Carnes A copy of this book was provided to me by the author for an honest review at SeductiveMusings.blogspot.com.

I think it’s safe to say that most of us would never have a first chance at a threesome with two sexy guys, let alone a second chance. In Weekend Menage, Cara Carnes adds a twist to the second chance at romance trope by giving our heroine another opportunity for a threesome with the two hot hunky men she’d been too afraid to be with when they’d pursued her a few years before.

Joe and Dillan are longtime friends of Becca’s brother, Andy, and both have been the stars of her nighttime sex dreams for the past 2 years. When they’d made their intentions toward her clear back then, she hadn’t trusted them, or herself, not to get her heart broken and she’d left them high and dry. When Becca’s brother Andy insists she let Joe and Dillan crash in her Austin apartment when they’re in town on a weekend job, neither they nor she are able to walk away from the intense sexual attraction a second time. But will the weekend end with the heartbreak she’d been trying to avoid all along?

One of the big advantages of the second chance trope, especially in a novella or short story, is that the author doesn’t have to spend precious pages setting up why these people are so attracted to each other. It avoids the pitfall of “insta-love / insta-lust” that can be disconcerting to a reader, even if it’s handled as well as possible in the shortened format. By telling the story from Becca’s point of view, Weekend Menage gives us just enough of the backstory between her, Joe and Dillan, including how they came into her life previously, why her brother would be sending them to stay with her, and why she would allow it to happen. We don’t get too caught up in what it is Joe and Dillan actually do, and what Andy might think of this new sexual relationship between his friends and his sister. What we do get is a well-written, albeit short story of how three people who want each other very much finally get together, have fantastic M/F/M sex over a multi-day period, and then realize that what they have doesn’t have to be over just because the weekend is. The structure is there for a longer, more detailed story, but it works perfectly as the fast hot read it was designed to be.

I thoroughly enjoyed Weekend Menage, and would love to read a novel-length menage story by Cara Carnes in the future.

Ratings:

Overall: 4
Sensuality level: 5 (M/F/M menage, public sex, voyeurism)