TheRomanceEvangelist

The Romance Evangelist

The BookLikes companion to The Romance Evangelist (mharvey816.mh2.org).

Reviewer for Seductive Musings, Night Owl Reviews, and Romancing Rakes For the Love of Romance.

I live for the HEA/HFN and am decidedly pro-epilogue.

Anything He Wants - Sara Fawkes This book was provided to me by the publisher for an honest review at SeductiveMusings.blogspot.com.

I had originally read Anything He Wants as the 5 part series thanks to the free 1 hour of daily in-store reading on my nook. When the opportunity to read the full-length novel became available, I was eager to read the “never-before-released scenes and special bonus material” promised in that release. I was also wondering how well each of the five sections would flow into the next when read all together.

The story of Lucy and Jeremiah starts with an elevator ride that begins like all the others they have shared, at first by coincidence and later by Lucy’s design. It’s during this particular elevator ride when Jeremiah decides to show Lucy that he was noticing her just as much as she had been noticing him. What follows is a whirlwind of events which turn Lucy’s world upside down, placing both her heart and life in danger.

Jeremiah is the rich and powerful CEO of Hamilton Industries, and he wants Lucy to be the latest in an apparently long line of female personal assistants. When her contract says “anything he wants” it means just that: anything. Most of the time, that means any flavor of sex he might desire, with an emphasis toward a D/s relationship. As the story unfolds, we meet a whole cast of characters from Jeremiah’s world, including estranged members of his family, but since Lucy is orphaned and nearly friendless, most of what we know of her is what we see from her point of view.. Since the majority of her POV is confined to Jeremiah and what he is doing to her, what we see of her isn't really much at all.

When I read Anything He Wants as a series, my impression was that the opening was definitely the best part of the whole story, thanks to the immediacy and intensity of their initial sexual encounters. As events progressed, however, the individual parts simply did not hang together particularly well. A big problem for me was how Lucy was merely a cardboard cutout with just a minimum of background details to explain why she would need the money offered in the outrageous “anything he wants” contract and why nobody would miss her when she suddenly jetted off to Paris and back again. Jeremiah was provided with slightly more background material, but only enough to foreshadow future events and provide him with the prerequisite air of mystery that Lucy finds so compelling.

When I read my review copy of the full-length novel, it appeared not to have been changed at all from the original multi-part series. Indeed, each section was presented with the original cover from when they were only available individually, emphasizing their separateness. If there were any additions or changes made to the original text, it wasn't obvious to me where they might be. That’s a real shame because some additional fleshing out of the various characters would have really improved the story overall, especially the last section where multiple unexpected betrayals occur in rapid succession, and where my patience with where the story was going nearly reached its breaking point.

Ultimately, Anything He Wants was neither terrible nor remarkable in either incarnation. The next book in the series will not be serialized, which may either be a big improvement or prove that the lack of character development and plot flow in the first one wasn't just due to its multi-part origin. I am hoping for the former and not the latter.

Ratings: