TheRomanceEvangelist

The Romance Evangelist

The BookLikes companion to The Romance Evangelist (mharvey816.mh2.org).

Reviewer for Seductive Musings, Night Owl Reviews, and Romancing Rakes For the Love of Romance.

I live for the HEA/HFN and am decidedly pro-epilogue.

Along Came Trouble - Ruthie Knox A copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher for an honest review at SeductiveMusings.blogspot.com.

Along Came Trouble is the second entry in Ruthie Knox’s new Camelot series, and the first full length novel. Its hero, Caleb Clark, is the brother of Amber, the heroine of How To Misbehave, the introductory novella to the Camelot series. Amber is now married to Tony, with three young boys, and they are running Mazzara Construction together. Caleb has only recently returned from his final tour of duty for the army in Afghanistan and is now attempting to start up his own local security company in Camelot, Ohio where they all still live. Camelot Security’s big break comes when Jamie Callahan, a local boy who hit the big time as an international pop star, returns home to woo his ex-girlfriend into taking him back. The chaos that follow in Jamie’s wake is nothing compared to what happens when Caleb meets Jamie’s sister Ellen and they both realize the attraction between them is something that can’t be ignored.

Ellen Callahan is everything Jamie isn't: quiet, dependable, conscientious, and always concerned about others before herself. When their mother realized Jamie could be a big star, she made sure Ellen stayed behind the scenes and out of the way. It took the shock of her ex-husband’s betrayal and the need to protect her young son that made Ellen strong enough to resist any and all forces attempting to disrupt her life and their safety. When her strength meets Caleb’s force, it remains to be seen who will be the victor and who will lose out in the end.

I've already made it clear how much of a Ruthie Knox fangirl I am, so it’s no surprise how much I loved the story of Caleb and Ellen. Ellen has had to be the rock for so many people for so long that she doesn't know how to be selfish, even when taking what she wants isn't really selfish at all. Caleb, on the other hand, has always been selfish in his wants and needs, especially with regard to the opposite sex. The broken hearted women he’s left in his wake didn't get the nickname of “chiclet” for nothing. Caleb realizes that Ellen is different, and not just because he’s older and wiser or because she has a young son and a deep distrust for all men. The question is whether Ellen will allow Caleb to protect her from her brother’s paparazzi without keeping him away from as well.

The only part of Along Came Trouble that I didn't completely enjoy was the secondary story of Ellen’s brother Jamie, and his antics while trying to win back his pregnant ex-girlfriend. I realize that without them, there would be no reason for Caleb and Ellen to be constantly thrown together, but their story was almost too much of a distraction for me at times. I much preferred the company of Ellen, Caleb and the other Clark family members, and I’m looking forward to revisiting them in Ruthie Knox’s final Camelot book, Flirting with Disaster, which will be released later this year.

Ratings:

Overall: 4
Sensuality level: 4 (steamy but not kinky)