TheRomanceEvangelist

The Romance Evangelist

The BookLikes companion to The Romance Evangelist (mharvey816.mh2.org).

Reviewer for Seductive Musings, Night Owl Reviews, and Romancing Rakes For the Love of Romance.

I live for the HEA/HFN and am decidedly pro-epilogue.

Spank Me, Mr. Darcy - Lissa Trevor, Jane Austen A copy of this book was provided to me by the author for an honest review at SeductiveMusings.blogspot.com.

There will be spoilers here. You have been warned.

When this book was first described to me, I was all for reading it immediately. (Mr. Darcy with a paddle? Yes, please!) If only the actual story had even partially lived up to my expectations. In hindsight, I realize I should have been more wary of the results, especially after having read Jane Eyre, Laid Bare last year.

I’m not offended by the idea of current writers using classic romance novels as a springboard to an all new erotic version. What offends me is when they do it so poorly. I especially dislike when major plot details of the original are significantly altered or removed entirely in the attempt to shoehorn ill-fitting new material. It was bad enough when “Jane Eyre Laid Bare” lopped off everything that happened after Jane left Thornfield Hall. But in “Spank Me, Mr. Darcy” we lose significant scenes that are not only beloved and familiar, but are also key to the progression of the feelings between Elizabeth and Darcy. And in their stead, we get numerous repetitive over-the-top sex scenes between secondary characters that add absolutely nothing to the story.

I've often said that there’s no such thing as “too much sex” in an erotic romance novel. I've even been known to buy a book on Amazon just because it has a one star review complaining about too many sex scenes. Yet I grew so tired of all the sex scenes in “Spank Me, Mr. Darcy” that I almost couldn't finish the book (and it’s only 141 pages long!). That’s because only a few of them were between Elizabeth and Darcy. If you’re going to sex up “Pride and Prejudice” by making Darcy the dark Master wishing to own Elizabeth on his own terms, then that should be the focus of your new material. But when the first third of the book is nothing more than pages of secondary characters having kinky sex with each other (Mrs. Bennet and Lady Lucas? Really?) then perhaps you need to reconsider the entire exercise.

Michele's Ratings:

Overall: 2 stars (The Elizabeth/Darcy scenes were good. If only there were more of them.)

Sensuality level: 5 (Everything short of blood play and water sports.)